8.21.2013

Nursery Reveal

The nursery is finished! I think...
It's hard for me to say that we're officially done with the nursery since I constantly think of new things I want to add, but I'm doing my best to try and leave it alone for now :)

For me, the nursery was something that I spent a great deal of time planning in my mind. I had saved ideas for years and once we found out we were pregnant, it was one of the things I was most excited to start. We knew we had definite ideas for a boy or girl nursery and since we are having a little boy, the nursery has been decorated in a way which we felt said "boy".

In my previous post, I mentioned that it was hard for us to describe the nursery under a specific theme. We really felt that the nursery was a collection of things we loved, things that represented us, and things that we hoped the baby would enjoy now...or eventually :) We stuck to a neutral/calming colour palette and included rustic elements.

There are a lot of elements to the nursery that we created or made ourselves, which may be why it took us so long to put together. We love how the nursery has turned out. It may not be the typical nursery, but for us its perfect and we love it.

We chose to focus on texture as well. Metals, woods, soft fabrics were all used to add interest to the space.



 
Our crib is the "Olivia" crib from Baby Mod. You can read about our crib search here. In the end, we ended up not liking the 'amber' colour that the crib base came in (it didn't match with our hardwood floors), so we opted to have it stripped and stained darker. We love how it turned out and it matches exactly with our floors.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
We didn't want to hang anything large or heavy above the crib, so when I came across these vintage letters on Etsy, spelling out the baby's initials, I knew they would be perfect. They are super light and we stuck them to the wall with some heavy duty double sided tape that we found at Home Depot. A sales associate recommended it to us, as this tape is used to hang house numbers on brick and it worked out great. We've had the letters hanging there for about 3 months so we figure they're pretty much stuck there!
 
The baby's name has been decided for quite some time (we talked names on our honeymoon 4 years ago!), but we're waiting until the baby is born before we share it with the world. There are a few pictures in this post where I've edited the baby's name out of the pictures (and replaced it with a mustache!)





We also hung a handmade mobile above the crib that has a rustic (and also slightly Canadian!) theme to it and feel it goes perfectly with the style of the nursery.





Our nursery chair works well in the space and most importantly, it's SO comfortable! You can read about our search for the nursery chair and what we eventually decided on here. I feel it will be a chair that we can work into multiple spaces and the neutral colour also helps with that.

 
Rather than opt for the matching foot stool, I chose this dark leather poof that I found on Etsy and it is gorgeous! It's handmade and I love how it adds a new element to the space. I've seen similar ones for hundreds of dollars on some designer sites, however this one from Etsy was much cheaper and the quality is superb.


 
 
The print on the wall above the chair was made for us by a good friend. I also added a handmade pillow cover to a pillow I had, along with a cozy throw from Indigo and a bunny from a special friend to the chair.

 
 
You might have also noticed the lamp behind the chair. I noticed this lamp used in another nursery and loved how unconventional it was. I had seen lamps like this at Restoration Hardware and other designer stores for hundreds of dollars and since that wasn't in the budget I didn't expect to find one. However, one day I popped into HomeSense and there it was sitting there. For $69.99 it was too good to pass up. The brass colour matches the ceiling light exactly and it definitely fills up that corner of the room too.
 
 
 
The only thing missing on this side of the room is a little end table for beside the chair. I never ended up finding that little brass one from Target I put a call for help out for on our Facebook page a while back, but I know I'll come across something sooner or later that works in the space.
 
 
 

We chose the Ikea Hemnes 8-drawer dresser for a change table/dresser and its perfect- tons of storage, perfect size for a change table and nice clean lines to work in the room.




We also opted for different knobs on the dresser. I had some old black glass knobs hanging around that my dad had given me and chose to paint them a nice light grey.
 

 
 
Ian made the change table topper for me. I searched online and the cheapest one I could find was over $150.00, so we decided to make our own. It ended up costing us less than $20.00 and it's designed exactly to size for the dresser. I would highly recommend making one if you can...later I'll be doing up a blog post about exactly how we made ours to hopefully give you some direction!
 
Ian also found some pieces of wood in the cold room in our basement (left there from the previous homeowners), that he felt would work perfectly for shelving. We loved the rustic feel to the wood and the pieces were the exact right size. We cleaned them off and lightly sanded them as well. One piece we kept whole to act as the longer shelf above the dresser and the other we cut in half to act as 2 shelves on an opposite wall.
 

 
 
 
 
Beside the dresser we chose to put up a family photo collage. We added in pictures of many of the male relatives of Baby B including Ian, both grandparents and some of the great-grand parents, etc. The frames we purchased all over- Target, Walmart, Ikea, second hand, etc.
 
 
 
 
 

We also wanted to create a little reading area for the baby to have (once he starts looking at books of course!) so we cut the other piece of wood in half to create 2 small shelves. Ian purchased some rustic looking nails at Lee Valley Tools and hammered them into the wood so that the books would eventually sit on the shelves (and not slide off the front).

 
 
For now, we chose to frame some adorable prints from Etsy for the shelves.





We couldn't forget to include our little handmade rocking horse (that we scored from a thrift store a while back for only $12!) as well.



We also adore the little vintage roadster style car, I was given by some special friends at my baby shower a few months back. Ian and I registered for it at Indigo last winter and knew it would be an awesome addition to the room! Since receiving this car, I've seen it pop in in so many nursery spaces, and honestly it is such a cute little car it doesn't really surprise me!


 



Lastly, the closet system that Ian installed a few months ago has come in VERY handy. Its allowed me to organize so much of the supplies for the baby, clothes, books, etc. I was fortunate enough to have some wonderful work colleagues who threw me a book shower for the baby and I ended up with a full library! For now, the closet is housing Baby B's extensive collection.


Seriously, I love that he has so many books already!


 
and check out his pretty awesome shoe collection:
 
 

In the end, we're really happy with how the space has turned out. I still have a few other items I'm adding (something for the door, a handmade wooden box for the dresser etc), but we'll see if I get to finishing them before the baby arrives.

For now, I think the nursery has all we need and hopefully Baby B will be comfortable in here :)








We've added a source list below, but feel free to leave us a comment if we've forgotten something! We hope you've enjoyed our nursery :)

Melissa and Ian


Source List:

Crib- Baby Mod (Olivia Crib): Walmart
Dresser/Change Table- Hemnes 8-Drawer Dresser: Ikea
Knobs on Dresser- Vintage/Handmade
Glider- Newco International Grand Bella Velvet Glider: Walmart.com
Vintage Style Roadster- Indigo (gift)
Rocking Horse- Vintage (Second Hand)
CLB Letters above crib- TheOldTimeJunkShop: Etsy
Moroccan Poof- Marauthentics: Etsy
Pillow on Gilder- Studio Pillow: Etsy
Mobile- (gift) Pi'lo
Area rug- Costco- similar
Sheepskin Rugs- Ikea
Orchid (plastic) flower on Dresser- HomeSense
Frames- Target, Walmart, HomeSense, Ikea, Second Hand
Floor Lamp- HomeSense
Ceiling Light- HomeSense
Curtains- Lenda: Ikea
Bamboo Blinds- Walmart
Curtain rod and rings- Walmart
Crib Skirt- Indigo (no longer available)
Crib Sheet- Dwell Studio: Snugglebugz
Shelving- Handmade
Dinosaur on shelf- Zuny: Indigo
Stuffed bear on shelf- Second Hand
Print on Shelf- "I love you to the Moon and Back" (MyFabulessLife): Etsy
Print on Shelf- "Our little Man" (T3DesignsCo): Etsy
Change Pad table topper: Handmade
Change Pad: Babies R Us
Change Pad sheet: Handmade by my mom :)
ZigZag Bin beside crib and in closets: Pehr Designs- Indigo
Woodland Bunny on glider: (gift) Indigo
Lamp on Dresser: Walmart
Musical lamb hanging from shelf above dresser: Indigo
Garbage Bin- Target
Pillow in crib (for pictures only!)- Handmade by me
Stuffed animals in crib- (gifts)

Wall Colour: Pelican - ICI/Dulux Paints
Trim Colour: Simply White - Benjamin Moore

29 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I'm so so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so cozy and beautiful. It will be even better with a wee little baby in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, it looks SO great!! Such a great room, I love the touches of that warm wood and all the gold touches. You guys did such a fantastic job. Lucky, lucky little baby!

    p.s. Do you have a link to the shop on etsy you purchased the Moroccan pouf from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christine!! I love your nursery so much, so I really appreciate it! I actually ended up finding pretty much the same little yellow chair you have in your nursery, on Kijiji and once the Baby's old enough Im going to use it as his little reading nook chair too!
      Yes, the poof was from an awesome dealer on Etsy- I'll add the link to the source list on the post :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE the nursery! You guys did a great job!

    Is the artwork above the chair your friends guess on when and how big baby B will be?

    Good luck with the rest of your pregnacy!
    xo, Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Katy!!
      How are you guys doing?!
      Yes, the artwork was made by a good friend of mine, according to my expected due date, and once I have the baby she is going to update it with the actual details of the baby's birthdate, weight, etc :)

      Delete
  5. I lOVE it!! It's so calming and soothing...perfect. Curious about the print above the chair.... is this a guess into the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerri!! Yes, my friend made this for me according to my expected due date, and once I have the baby she is going to update it with the actual details of the baby's birthdate, weight, etc :)

      Delete
  6. Melissa,
    It's amazing!!! I seriously love it all, and I'm sure Baby B will too. What a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful nursery Melissa! I love all of the sweet details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful nursery! I love the lamp, and that little dinosaur on the shelf is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo beautiful, can I stay there? :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the name Cole!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful nursery! I love how you combined the rustic pieces with the modern ones.
    Can you explain how you hung the rustic shelves?
    Good job :)
    JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnne! Thanks so much :)
      Ian pre-drilled holes into the wall and screwed through the top of the shelf on an angle, into a stud in the wall. I hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  12. I love the shelving! Do you mind sharing how you hung it?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitie! I just replied to Joanne above with the response I think you are looking for! Goodluck!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful room! I am inspired. Did you alter your curtains at all? The link looks different then the Ikea ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, I actually cut the tabs off the top of them and hemmed the bottom :)

      Delete
  14. Do you have any more info on the chandelier? Model, make etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angi,
      Sorry I dont. I got it at HomeSense. I hope you can find it!

      Delete
  15. Hello! Can you post the dimensions and/or instructions of the changing topper? We'd like to make the same one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...